top of page

Need a hand to prepare your tax return?

Do I have to file a tax return?


As a resident of Canada, you are required to file a return if you are resident of Canada for income tax purposes and must pay tax or claim a refund.  Individuals who might be considered residents for tax purposes include:


  • Canadian citizens and permanent residents

  • Refugees (protected persons)

  • Temporary residents, such as foreign workers and students

  • People who have received approval-in-principle from IRCC to stay in Canada


Whether you have earned an income for part or all a tax year (from January 1 to December 31), have not received income in the year, you must file a return to continue receiving benefits and credit payments you might be entitled to.


What  Do I Need?


  • All tax slips for receipts of income

  • All receipts for expenses

  • Notice of assessment or reassessment  for the previous year tax return



Tax Clinics


As part of the CRA Community Volunteer Income  Tax Program (CVITP),  GPCN hosts free tax clinics for newcomers who cannot afford to pay tax services. These clinics are for people with a modest income and a simple tax situation. We also educate newly arrived immigrants in understanding better the Canadian Tax System by running workshops and information sessions.



Are New to Canada?  Below is a helpful video to learn about filing your income tax and benefit return. To find out more about the Canadian Tax System, please visit the following link

bottom of page